Blockchain-based Cloud Computing BIaaS / BPaaS / BSaaS
Blockchain and Cloud Computing are two revolutionary technologies that have the potential to change the way we live, work and interact. With the growth of big data, the need for large networks (cloud) has increased significantly. The combination of Blockchain with the cloud could further revolutionize all industries.
Cloud computing will make everything work as it should
The cloud computing market has grown rapidly in recent years and the proliferation of IoT is driving the size of the market, providing opportunities for seamless integration. According to a research report published by Market Research Future, the market will be worth 1,738.44 billion by the end of 2030, which is more than 18.53% CAGR (compound annual growth rate).
In the past, companies relied mainly on servers, databases, hardware, software, etc. to bring their business to the network. Companies needed money for the high cost of installation, experts capable of managing the hardware and software, complex components and limited storage space. Cloud computing came to solve all these problems.
Cloud computing is a model that allows access to a set of shared resources that can be configured and allows management with minimal effort. Here data can be stored and accessed over the Internet without any limitation, which brings some advantages such as speed, cost optimization, scalability, accessibility and increased security.
There are different services that cloud computing offers, such as
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) IT infrastructure is one of the most expensive parts of any organization; in fact, it is often so expensive that many companies simply don't have the budget for it. Instead of hiring IT professionals to manage servers and other IT resources, companies can rent them from an outside provider, which is called Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). IaaS offers many advantages for both small and large enterprises. EC2 from AWS (Amazon Web Service) is an excellent example.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) Platform-as-a-Service is an application development and hosting environment that provides a set of software tools to simplify the process of developing, deploying and managing applications. PaaS providers offer hosted development environments with features such as pre-installed frameworks, application programming interfaces (APIs), databases, web servers and other components.
- Software as a Service (SaaS) The software-as-a-service (SaaS) model is one of the most popular models for delivering enterprise-grade software. In this model, the vendor hosts and operates the application in a data center, while users access it from their desktops or mobile devices. SaaS is a business model in which the software and its associated data are centrally hosted in the cloud
What the heck is blockchain-based cloud computing?
The need for the use of Blockchain in the cloud is closely related to the need for the cloud for IoT devices (Cloud of Things - CoT). As we have discussed in other articles, the Cloud of Things is the ability to provide a cloud computing environment to manage IoT services more efficiently.
The use of IoT has increased a lot in recent years and still has a long way to go. Companies use it to collect data from the environment, store it and then analyze it. However, IoT devices have limited capacity that does not exist in the cloud. But having all the data in the cloud has a number of problems:
|Cloud without Blockchain||Cloud with Blockchain|
|Limited control of data by users.||More knowledge about the status of the data being processed.|
|Little transparency in data processing, which makes it unsafe.||Secure network management thanks to the decentralization generated by the network.|
|Increased latency in communications between IoT devices.||More agile processing in certain cases.|
|Scaling is not 100% optimized since centralized models are used.||Improved tools such as the use of smart contracts and verification of each transaction.|
Blockchain & Cloud service models
- BIaaS (Blockchain Infrastructure-as-a-Service) Blockchain IaaS makes it possible to offer services very similar to cloud-based IaaS, but with additional layers of security thanks to the decentralization provided by the blockchain. It also allows users to consume infrastructure on demand, giving the ability to use it without deployment or maintenance concerns. This not only helps save the cost of purchasing new hardware to support blockchain development, but also helps enterprises use blockchain platforms at a more affordable cost.
- BPaaS (Blockchain Platform as a Service) It consists of providing a Platform focused primarily on developers so that they can more easily and optimally manage the decentralized applications they are building. With the use of BPaaS the developer does not have to manage software updates, infrastructure or storage, he only has to focus on development.
- BSaaS (Blockchain Software as a Service) This model consists of delivering on-demand software that allows organizations to work on the design, development and deployment of cloud-based blockchain networks. It can also build, manage and maintain the deployed infrastructure. It is one of the most used services by companies developing with Blockchain technology.